Technical Writer- Freelance
Phelps, an integrated marketing communications agency located alongside the beautiful Santa Monica Coastline, is actively seeking a Technical Writer to partner with our team on a freelance basis.
We’re an agency dedicated to delivering high impact work across all channels with a strategic vision to garner the results desired by our blue chip clients. Our digital landscape includes deliverables such as back end web development, front end web development, full fledged digital campaigns and much more.
We are actively seeking a Freelance Technical Writer to help with the delivery of an enterprise level application for a nationwide client. This assignment is projected to last about 5-7 months and requires a 20 to 30 hour weekly commitment from the selected candidate. Working remotely is an option as long as candidates are available to take part in mandatory on-site meetings.
This person will be responsible for writing assigned sections of the software requirements specification for complex web-based application software in conjunction with the lead tech writer, based on input from functional requirement specifications and wireframe screen mockups.
In order to be considered candidates must:
• Have prior experience writing software requirements specifications (samples required)
• Ability to understand complex software applications
• Understanding of relational database concepts
• Understanding of web technologies and standard user interface design concepts
• Ability to think beyond what is written in the functional specifications/wireframes to document/specify all user pathways through the application
• Ability to aggregate and organize similar requirements to reduce redundancy
• Must be extremely organized and detail-oriented
• Excellent skills with Microsoft Office (Word/Excel)
• Software development experience is a plus.
• QA/Testing/Test plan development experience is a plus
Search Engine Optimization Specialist
Hi. We’re Phelps, an integrated marketing communications agency in Santa Monica, CA.
We’re seeking an experienced Search Engine Optimization Specialist
The person we hire for this role will be responsible for all aspects of optimizing our client’s interactive efforts for optimal search engine performance. The role encompasses aspects of strategy, content creation, and interactive development.
Plainly said, we’re looking for an SEO rock star.
As part of consideration for this role you must be willing to share case studies and results from past accounts and projects. Innovation and creativity are just as important to us as methodology and project lifecycle, so please keep that in mind.
Candidate should be prepared to speak to and provide examples of:
- Research techniques in staying on top of market trends
- SEO copywriting
- SEO architecture audits
- Strategies and techniques for identifying SEO opportunities, recommendations, and implementations
- Thorough understanding of interactive development best practices relating to SEO; and ability to work with a dev team in the implementation of SEO updates
- Understanding of the relationship between paid and organic search strategies and the ability to optimize the cross-channel mix
Responsibilities and Skill Set
- Oversight and management of onsite and offsite SEO resources
- Provide technical guidance and specification during the development of web sites and other online projects, in accordance with SEO best practices, for both client sites and in an advisory capacity agency-wide
- Staying abreast of (and sharing) changes and algorithm updates in the search industry
- Reporting to clients and upper management on KPI's and web analytics
- Knowledge of link building, social and local SEO
- Ability to develop and evangelize creative, design, and technical SEO specifications to be shared with key stakeholders across the organization.
- Ability to develop internal programs to give visibility to technology/content stakeholders on current SEO initiatives
- Experience in partnering with data analyst to find areas of growth/improvement for SEO
- Ability to create SEO and web development proposals
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail; self-starter
- Proven understanding with skills in applying statistical analysis principles to business challenges.
- Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent with customer relationship management and able to upsell search services, both to clients and other agency stake holders
- Proven track record of successful SEO strategy and implementation (at least 3 years) for national brands, and on large sites with the goal of increasing sales and traffic
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of holistic search ranking factors and critical updates
- Bachelor's Degree or greater in Business, Computer Science or other relevant field
- Thorough technical know-how and understanding of SEO coding best practices and implementation as it relates to web site development
- Understanding of web server, analytics, and search engines technologies.
- Experience with content management/web production systems (CMS)
- Strong background in keyword research & ranking, site audit, and link building tools (e.g., Moz, Google's Keyword Planner, Wordtracker, Majestic SEO, Google Webmaster Tools, etc.), as well as other analytic platforms (Omniture Site Catalyst, Google Analytics
- Experience coordinating efforts across teams to drive execution.
- Ability to consult and problem-solve individual issues when needs arise.
- Exploit organic traffic growth and develop website to enhance process.
- Research and develop SEO best practices to identify new market opportunities and maximize traffic growth
- Strong command of the Microsoft Office suite of tools, particularly Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
A Better Way to Work. A Better Way to Live. Celebrated as one of L.A.’s “Best Places to Work” for five years running. The only agency in L.A. in the top 15 on both the advertising and PR charts for 14 years. And 33 years as a truly integrated agency. Phelps threw out the old agency model years ago. Instead of “departments” competing with each other for our clients’ budgets, we’re organized in client-centric, self-managed teams thriving in a full-feedback environment where the best business-building ideas rule. Advertising, public relations, promotions specialists -- distributing our work via online and offline media -- all working together to collaborate, strategize and execute fully-integrated campaigns for socially responsible clients. It’s smarter. It’s powerful. It’s the edge we deliver.
We're always looking for talented people to join our team. People like us, who have a passion to do great work for deserving clients in a healthy working environment, to realize our clients' goals and our potentials. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to join our Bench.